Tabs

Monday, January 30, 2012

January 30th, 2012

Ugh i just wrote this super long awesome post and then I lost it, so here I go again...sorry if I seem super hostile and rushed but I have my first classes today so here is the condensed really lame version.

So I'm writing this post from my newly decorated room. Pictures of family and friends and a cut up Travelers Magazine does wonders for my boring side. I bought a new bedspread/pillowcase set and it came back from the dobi today. A dobi is a woman who washes your larger laudry items. I also have a woman who comes and cleans the room for us every few days. That may sound like a luxury and it really is but it also makes me really uncomfortable. I've been taught to do those things for myself, especially when I am a guest, so its hard for me to just sit there on my computer while she cleans around me. I try to talk to ease the one sided tension but she doesnt seem to appreciate that either so instead I leave and let her do her job without having me bother her.

I have yet to tell you about our saturday excursions to Karkala and Moodibidri. Two Jain pilrimage sights about an hour from Manipal. Jainism in a really condensed form is an offshoot of hinduism that stresses non-violence and a devotion to thier Gods. They are all vegans and the nuns and monks are so devout that they do not wear shoes and sweep in front of them so as not to kill any innocent bugs that may be in their path. They have 24 Thirthankars who are Jainists who have been thought to achieve the highest level of being which release them from the karmic circle and reincarnation and give them eternal liberation. The statues we saw today were of those 24 Thirthankars. So I made that sound super boring but its actually really cool!

After that orientation has officially ended, so we've been finding our own adventures. That night we went out to a bar with some friends we met from the geo-politics department and had a good time. We got back to the dorms at 12 so that the security guard wouldn't get angry about us missing curfew our first night out.

Sunday and Monday were spent doing a variety of things on campus. I've been to the gym both days because it is so nice and brand new. There must be millions of dollars of equipment and they have all kinds of courts to play tennis, badmitton, squash, and basketball. They even have personnal trainers walking around to help you out. We've also found the best fruit stand just around the corner that will make you a fresh fruit juice at any time for only 20 rupees which is only like 30 cents USD.

I have to go, I have a lot to do today. I have 4 classes from 8-9, 2-3,3-4,4-5  and then a concert at 6:30. The other girls wanted to go to the gym again today so if I have then energy I may join them at 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment