Tabs

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Week 1

Sorry it has taken me so long to write in my blog. The orientation schedule here is so hectic and crazy that we all just crash when we finally get into our rooms at night. The heat and the constant lull of the fan in my room is a recipe for sleep too.

I guess I'll start from the beginning.  I arrived in Mumbai very late sunday evening and was met by Ginny, our program director. She had to send us (myself and two other girls who were on the same plane) to the hotel we were staying in for the night by ourselves. It was a very quick Hi and Bye and then we were on our way through the traffic of Mumbai. Which for those who have never heard, is scarrier than any amusment park ride or NYC cab trip I have ever seen. We all remark at how every turn is a heart pounding almost collision and yet it ALWAYS works out.

Throughout the week we've been doing a lot of bus and rickshaw rides to get to and from campus. Whether we were in Mumbai or in rural Udupi, the general look of India is almost always the same. The red clay earth creates dust everywhere and trash litters the streets no matter where you go. The outsides of buildings look centuries old and all the metal is rusted. Stray dogs are everywhere and I just want to adopt them all, especially the puppies who you can tell are still so sweet because everytime they see a human they wag there tail and run around you begging to be loved.

The outsides of buildings have absolutely no corrolation to what is inside them. Countless times Ginny and Preston (our assistant director) will lead us into a really sketchy looking place by most peoples standards and it turns out to be a skytop restaurant our even a lovely hostel like my own.

The food here has been absolutely delicious the whole time we have been here. The first few days of orientation we spent at a beach house about 20 minutes away from Manipal University. And the service we got there was unlike anything I've experienced in the US. Coming to India I expected to go without a lot of conforts but at the beach house we were waited and dined on all the time. There was constant supplies of teas and coffees and so. much. food. They made sure it wasnt too spicey for us but Every once and a while we'd all get a spice that made our eyes water and our faces get hot.

I have to go, we have a meeting with professors today and breakfast is first. i'll add some pictures and continue the story tonight when I get back. Love you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment